Monday, April 18, 2011

Tomato Garlic & Herb Bread

I've been on a little bit of a bread kick lately.  For years I could NEVER make a decent loaf of bread, or rolls, or anything using dough!  But then a couple years ago my mom came over and SHOWED me every little step.  So now I'm getting a little daring, and have been experimenting and tweaking my recipe a little.  This is the latest........Tomato Garlic & Herb.  I had some leftover sun dried tomatoes from a pasta that I made, so I chopped them up and put them into the dough.  It was so good, especially toasted with laughing cow cheese spread on it, or on a turkey sandwich!  My little girl, Macie, ate about 1/3 of a loaf while it was warm.  While I was trying to get a picture of it she kept stealing little bites, then she stole the whole slice, haha.  That's why I added the pictures......I thought it was funny. 

When I did it, I halved my usual bread recipe, so it made 2 loaves instead of 4.  If yours makes 4, I would probably double these ingredients. 

Favorite bread recipe
1/2 cup hopped sun dried tomatoes (you can get these in the bulk bins at Winco for way cheap)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs Italian seasoning (or you could do whatever herbs you like)
1 egg (for egg washing the crust)

Make your dough, and add the the tomatoes and spices for about the last 2 or 3 minutes of kneading.  Then separate into equal pieces and shape into a ball, then flatten them just a little.  Place them on a greased cookie sheet to rise.  When they are about double, cut three slits in the top of each one, and brush them with the beaten egg.  Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.  The crust will be dark and shiny, and the bread should sound hallow when you tap it.  Cool on wire racks. 

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear your favorite bread recipe. Do you want to share?

    ReplyDelete